Monday, November 26, 2007

Why the Y?



Late November brings so many great things. There is Thanksgiving that brings families to the table to eat and reacquaint themselves with one another. There is the chilly temperature that gives us(especially Shay) an excuse to snuggle for some warmth.

And, of course there is football; specifically rivalry week.

BYU and Utah had another barn-burner of a game with BYU coming out on top...again...for the second year in a row. Last year's game was the best game I have been to in a long time. Unfortunately, I had to work this year so all I could do is watch the scores refresh on my phone. Intense, but not the same. It will be another year of trash talking and over-confidence for Cougar fans. The best thing is that next year is the leap year so instead of 365 days, we get 366. Every day counts.

This rivalry has taken a strange turn, though, in my life. Why, you might ask? Because I am a student at the U. I have been at the U for the last year and a half. So why the Y?

I have always been a BYU fan. My mom went to the Y and has always cheered for the Cougs. Being that I am my mom's biggest fan, I became one of the Y's biggest fans. There was a time that I did cheer for the U, but it was a very short time. The first collegiate game I had ever attended was with my mom's friend. It was a Utah game. I liked them because my mom's friend liked them and she bought me whatever I wanted to eat. All I had to do was cheer for the U. Done. My mom of course brought me back to the blue by doing the same thing. Took me to a game and offered food. Done. I'm a Cougar now.

Cougar Loyalty. A big pet peeve I have is disinterested "fans". I'll admit that U fans can be outright obnoxious, unreasonable, belligerent, illiterate, and sloppy drunk, but, for the most part they are very loyal and supportive. BYU fans have been notorious for being fair-weather fans. I have never heard the Utes boo a quarter back for missing a pass and yet it's happened in Lavell Edwards one too many times. On more than one occasion, while nervous because it was the final drive of the 4th and we only had one shot, I have had to listen about so and so getting married to this guy, Plugs for relief society parties, and homework study groups. The worst, though, is fans leaving because we're down two touchdowns in the middle of the 3rd! ARE YOU SERIOUS? Show some faith, ya' lousy Mormons. I have to admit fans have gotten a bit better, but that's because the Cougs are doing well. We'll see what happens when things get rocky.

Not really all that excited about being a UTE. When I moved back to Salt Lake to go to the U, I was already married. I haven't joined any Frats or clubs. I don't go to any Ute pep rallies or activities. I just go to school there. I'll admit that it is quite difficult to hate the Utes anymore. I am always checking to see if they win and hope they do well. I just can't cheer against the Cougars when it comes to Rivalry week.

Things may change when I graduate, but only time will tell. For now, I am just going to get ready to talk a lot of trash to my UTE Fan co-workers. 17-10 all day with a little bit of 33-31. Go Cougs.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how you're blogging more frequently. I am not a fan of either schools but I am sure if someone bought me food...I could be persuaded.

Dana said...

Shalie, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog, I love finding new people. Katie told me that your little girl was soooo dang cute and she was right, what a doll!

Nielsen Family said...

Sita I love you...your blogs are so entertaining. I can totally see why your an English major. Your little stories captivate me. So I'm a BYU fan as well but not die hard. I've never cheered against them but have to admit that I don't keep up with them well...it might have to do with the fact that I can't get the games here. So can't wait to see you guys! PS I hope BYU and Boise State play in a bowl game...I like them both!

Jonathan, Kaity & Halle said...

And Collie is still open......

HECK YES! Go Cougs! Yet ANOTHER great game!

Anonymous said...

So I love your blog and all but when I stalk you, it's not fun when Sita's picture is the first thing I see. Just joking! I got spoiled when you posted so much last week, that now I am just craving another post!