Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanks-Given



Today is supposed to be the day that we look back on the fruits that have been reaped from the yearly harvest and offer up our gratitude to God. I actually took the time to sit and think about for what it is I am grateful. I have been given much this year:

10: Wake up call. Life comes at you real fast. Becoming a daddy has definitely forced me to prioritize my life decisions and in turn helped me begin to gain the qualities and standards that I had been lacking.

9: Something to say. I feel like I have become more at peace with who I am and what I believe. On most issues in any situation, I use to really sit-the-fence and play it passive. I feel that I am comfortable enough with my own personal principles and beliefs to really take a stand for what I believe.

8: Hunger for knowledge. I have probably grown more in this past year intellectually than ever before. I have been exposed to some really great books and ideas. While I don't agree with the majority of what is being said, I have learned a great deal and want more.

7: A gut check. Do I really want it? I have some pretty lofty goals and I have had to face this question constantly. Do I really want it? Anything seems ideal when you leave out the work involved. Society seems hell-bent on finding the easy way out. Is there an American Idol for changing the world? Do I really want it? Yes. Yes, I do.

6:Humility. For those who don't know, I am a Mixed Martial Arts Fighter or in layman's terms a "cage fighter". I am still at the amateur level, but I've had 8 fights so far. I lost my last fight in June because I didn't take the fight seriously. I wasn't prepared and I ended up in the hospital with some stitches, a sore head, and a bruised ego. Be prepared. Always.

5: Work. Through all my trials I have learned as long as I keep moving, they can't keep me down.

4: Hope. How do the bills get paid? I don't know; I work at Jimmy John's(913 E. Ft. Union BLVD subs so fast you'll freak). How am I an English Major? Me doesn't know. How did I end up with Shalie? You got me. If I took the pessimistic side, I don't think I'd get anything done. Things are never smooth, but they always seem to work out when there's hope.

3: Judge righteously. I feel like I hear the term "don't judge" all the time. I feel that "not judging" someone causes separation. I feel as human beings we need to make the effort to understand each other. We can't do that if we segregate ourselves by being so passive. Taking the time to hear people out and being respectful of their views will give a much deeper understanding than merely not judging them and leaving them be. We make judgments about everyone regardless if we want to admit it or not. We just need to take the time to make the right ones.

2: An appreciation for parents. I never realized how much my mother sacrificed for Me and my sisters. I wish I were a better son. Love is all my mom has ever given and with little in return. You're my hero, mom. I can't mention parents' help without mentioning my in-laws. Ol' Willard and Sammy have supported us from the get go. I can't explain their love any better than a fierce sincerity. I love you guys.

1. Shalie and Ella. God gave David Courage. He gave Solomon wisdom. He gave the world a savior. He gave me my family. Shay keeps me in line while Ella spreads sunshine. Of the many things I have received; the best was a Given: Shalie Given.

8 comments:

Heather B said...

That was such an awesome post. I just had to comment. Shalie, you have a beautiful daughter and an awesome husband! Happy Thanksgiving.

GRANNY G said...

Sita, we are so grateful for all of you. We missed having your family here at thanksgivning. It is just not the same without you guys. Can't wait until Christmas!!! I really enjoyed reading your post. Love always your mother-in- law.

Bams said...

Oh Sita...you are just so precious! What a darling post. This picture is SO cute too! I can't wait to wear that outfit Shay! Woo Woo

Nielsen Family said...

Oh my heck I'm crying...that was so sweet. Its so nice that you took the day as its intended... I can't wait to see you guys again!

Camie said...

Sita, that was some serious reflection right there. I think it made me want to sit down and think seriously about things, but it sounds like you are pretty blessed. YOu do belong to an amazing family and have a beautiful wife and daughter.

Anonymous said...

for cuteness!! I loved reading that post.. Your family is awesome!! Happy thanksgiving. and the pic of you 3 is super hot.

Heidi said...

Wow. You are such a great guy Sita. I love reading your posts as well. You have such a darling little family and I just love you guys. I absolutely love the last line of your post...very sweet. And the picture is very cute! Hope you guys had a great thanksgiving.

Laura Edwards said...

I love the photo! You guys are the cutest family!