Saturday, August 11, 2007

Reuinons and Departures


Time with loved ones always seems too short; especially when that time ends so abruptly. Last week Shalie got the idea that maybe she and Ella would take a trip down to St. George for a week and a half. Shay's cousin Lex would be getting married the next weekend (today) and I could come down the next weekend and pick them up. Little did I know how sad and lonely I would be. No little cries or funny noises for daddy. No waking up in the morning to my beautiful wife's kisses. I didn't really want to hang out with my single friends because they wanted to do "single-people" things, but I didn't want to hang out with married friends because it reminded me that I was alone. Even worse...we don't even have cable so no ESPN or comedy central to cheer me up. The time definitely made me appreciate my girls that much more. Needless to say it was a happy day when I got to head down to the St. Geezy. I was just outside of Beaver with hopes of happy hugs and sweet kisses of reunion when I received a voicemail from Shay. Her voice not only had a sound of urgency, but it was obvious she had been crying. My heart dropped and I sat on it while I waited for service to call her back (I hate sprint). Unfortunatley, our time on earth with Grampa Clark Houston had run out and he was called back to his father's side just an hour or so earlier. Time really does seem so short sometimes. I feel like I was robbed. I might be the one to know Grampa Clark the least being that I am married into the Houston family and we have had only a few encounters and was looking forward to many more, but I'll have to wait. Grampa Clark had a way with people(I'm sure that will come in handy up there) that made him so endearing. Among his hundreds of children, grandchildren, and great grand children, he never forgot my name. He knew my interests and made it a point to talk about them when he saw me. I'll never forget his great sense of humor and loving nature. My favorite story that he tells ends with the punchline, " If I wasn't in my Sunday best, I would have taken ya." Well here's to you Grampa Clark; we love you and miss you. Keep a seat warm for us up there.

5 comments:

Julie said...

Shalie, Oh my goodness. I'm so happy I ran into your blog. This is Julie (Reber)Rasmussen. I had heard you had a baby (and boy is she CUTE)...I had my baby just a week earlier. He came 5 weeks early and weighed 5lb 6oz. It was pretty crazy. I'd love to keep in touch with you. I have a private blog so send me your email so I can send you an invite. brockandjulie@gmail.com I am sorry to hear about Grandpa Houston. Your family will be in our prayers.

michellep said...

Shalie, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa. Reading this post reminded me so much of losing both Grandpa Lenzi and my Grandpa Chuck. They were all amazing men. I'm sure they're all enjoying each others' company on the other side. Take care!

Danielle said...

Shalie! Hi! Your baby is SO beautiful!! Its crazy to see people having kids...I love it! How have you been? I hope all is good for you...I can't believe how precious your little girl is...yay for you guys!!

Heidi said...

Sita, that was such a cute post. I hope that the funeral went well and that the family is doing good. We've been thinking of you guys. Thank you so much for coming over the other night. Ella is adorable and it was so fun seeing her. Love you guys and we hope to see you again soon.

SOUL said...

sorry, i'm stalking... i mean scanning :))... i saw this pic and laughed.... i have one just like it (from years ago though). a guy i knew with a belly bigger than the feela here..and mine larger than "yours?"
exact same photo! how cool...and here i was , thinking i was oooo creative. but i bet i took mine befor eyou ? 1994. ha
had fun finding your page...
under a google of blog slalker no less... don't fret... i'm not stalking... i think i am being stalked. or could i be paranoid.?
regardless, have a great day.. and post some more...ya got good stuff here..and a way cute baby.