Friday, February 15, 2008

Roots

"The oldest trees often bear the sweetest fruit." -- German Proverb

My grandma took me, Shay, and the chubber out to dinner earlier this week. My grandma isn't that old in comparison to many (she's 78), but her mind seems to be slipping away. Apparently, Alzheimer's runs on that side of the family. She invited us the day before, forgot about it, then remembered, then forgot what we were doing, and finally was excited that we wanted to go out to eat with her.

Among her many repetitions, she told me a lot about my heritage that I didn't know. Apparently my great grandma was British. That's three generations of interracial couples!(My grandpa was dutch) We're so PC. He was a manger of a major supermarket. That's probably why I like Walmart so much. My grandpa met my grandma on his way to a bar while she was on her way to church. Kind of like me and shay except I think Shay was just going to the store for beer (duh Shay they know I'm kidding.) He liked her so much that a few weeks later he quit smoking "cold turkey" and went with her to church that day.

Nice to get in touch with my roots.

Thanks grandma.
Thanks grandma. (I wrote it twice in case you forget.)



"There are two lasting bequests we can give our children: One is roots, the other is wings." -- Hodding Carter

While Ella was out with her momma and aunty Nikki, she tapped into one of her roots: dancing. Ella's grandma Lu danced for the Polynesian Culture Center during her college years and performed Polynesian luaus for over 30 years. Her papa was also known for his break dancing skills in Jr. High and High School. Her mom.... well.... Ella loves her mom.

They were all in Old Navy and Shay and Nikki were looking at some stuff and turned around to catch Ella swaying side to side to the beat. They thought it might be a fluke, but once another song came on Ella did it again. She was sitting in the cart like she is in the picture above. We will try and get it on video, but she seems to get some shyness from her mom.

5 comments:

Nielsen Family said...

Ah your grandma sounds adorable and how fun to hear stories about them when they were younger. And I hope you can catch Ella dancing. That is one of the cutest things babies do...if you ask me!

Anonymous said...

She is a cutie! I love when babies dance! What is better old folks or babies? Gotta love em both!

Heidi said...

I love it when the little ones move to the beat. It's so amazing how quickly they can feel rythmn and beats. Good for you for taking time to be with your grandma. I always find it so enriching to learn about my heritage.

Jake & Becca said...

Lyndi has gotten really into dancing lately. Its fun to watch them do new things. She especially likes to show off if she can be on some sort of a stage or platform. I imagine with Ella's genes she'll be quite the performer.I know you have had that picture at the top Right of your blog for a while but I just noticed something and it's going to drive me crazy now utnil I figure it out or... you tell me. Is that a floating head in the door way behind you guys?

Bams said...

I think she got her moves from her favorite auntie Nikki...well I know she did :)